Weapon Mechanic Changes
Weapon mechanic parity between VR and screen mode.
Currently, specific weapons work very differently on screen mode compared to VR. There are three main types of differences: input delays/artificial bullet spread, bad controls, and features that are straight-up non-existent for specific platforms.
1. Input Delays/Artificial Bullet Spread.
This one is very simple. some ranged weapons have outrageous input delays on screen compared to VR. The best example is the flintlock. the reload animation is insanely slow compared to VR. Some other honorable mentions are the blunderbuss and how clicking again while not being able to shoot will make it shoot again automatically, and the paint launcher and how it completely locks the other hand while reloading. another thing is the artificial bullet spread that is on every gun. this makes sense to make up for the fact that you don't need steady hands for screen mode but this can be especially annoying with rifles and railguns due to their long-ranged precise nature. This artificial spread should at least be turned off for longer-ranged weapons.
2. Bad Controls.
This one is only really for the whip and how it's used on screen mode. Instead of having to try and predict how the player is going to time the whip crack. it should just be made to where the whip-crack timing is all on the screen player.
A suggestion, holding down the attack button to throw the whip and letting go at the right time to hopefully crack it successfully.
3. Platform-Specific Features
Screen modes melee weapons and grenades have specific advantageous features that go unused in VR. Most melee weapons in screen mode have a lunge type feature that speeds the player up. This sudden burst of speed is impossible in VR due to no such implementation. A possible solution would be to have the player use the primary action bound trigger to let melee weapons increase a player's speed/decrease teleport delay while swinging the weapon fast enough.
A second thing is how grenades can be dropped without getting triggered and triggered without being dropped in screen mode. a possible fix for this could be a way to use the trigger while holding a grenade to disarm/trigger it. Holding down the action trigger while dropping a grenade would drop it without triggering it, and being able to let go of the action trigger whilst still holding the grenade would make it possible to trigger it while still holding it. Of course, this would also allow the classic form of triggering grenades by letting go of them without the use of the action trigger.
Anyways, that concludes my rant about how these weapon mechanics are changed.
imma just pretend that i read all of that, upvote.1
This is especially important now with the new interaction and controls overhaul they are doing for screen mode.
2. Bad Controls.
I believe this is now fixed with the new update, the whip should be easier to manage.
Also, here's a few more honorable mentions of weapon mechanics that need to be changed:
- Certain melee weapons while swinging slows down player movement speed on screen mode
- Weapon swinging on screen mode is generally slow
- Not being able to block with both duel wielded melee weapons on screen mode
- Melee weapons breaking in hand causes an unnecessary animation delay that prevents picking up another weapon or blocking with current melee weapon
- Some melee weapons when heavy swung on screen mode have longer attack animations than normally swinging making it unnecessary to heavy swing said melee weapon
- The animation while interacting with things while holding an item can cause unwanted interactions (Example: opening a chest with a sword in hand makes the sword swing and can break and hit things because of the interaction animation)
- Using cannons or mirrors on screen mode locks character in place making it difficult to dodge attacks or quickly run away
- The animation for lighting the fuse on a cannon with a torch is unnecessarily long
- Certain props like the ILS map or the Hunter's note can't be properly read on screen mode1
Please sign in to leave a comment.