If you're not hearing anyone else either, then the most likely answer is that your account is a junior account. You can check this by going to your watch menu > Settings > Audio. If you are on a junior account, you will see a message saying so.
If you're not on a junior account, first check that your microphone is set to "On" in your watch menu > Settings > Audio > Microphone. You should see the sound meter reflect what Rec Room is hearing from your mic. If it still shows nothing when you speak, check the platform-specific sections below for some troubleshooting tips.
- Make sure your microphone is turned up on your PS4 in Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Adjust Microphone Level
- Try fully restarting your PS4
- Try these steps from Sony support
- If playing with PSVR, make sure that your VR headset mic is not accidentally muted.
- Ensure that in your Windows recording devices (right click the speaker icon at the bottom right of the desktop > select Sounds or Recording devices), your headset microphone is set to be the default device for recording and communication. Ensure all other microphones are disabled (right click > disable)
- You must restart Rec Room after changing the default device in order for the change to take effect.
- Make sure your headset is set as the preferred audio input in your Oculus Home or SteamVR settings
Oculus Home - gear icon at the top right > Settings > Devices > Rift headset > Audio Input in VR should be set to the headset microphone and the transmit volume should be up.
SteamVR - in the small status window click the small downward arrow next to the 'Steam VR' text > Settings > Audio > ensure your 'Set Record Device to' dropdown is set to your headset microphone.
Ensure your Windows privacy settings have your microphone enabled. Windows>privacy>microphone and "allow apps to access microphone".
- To ensure that your microphone isn't broken, try listening to the device.
- Right click the speaker icon at the bottom right of the desktop > Recording devices > find and right click your chosen mic (make sure its enabled) > properties > listen tab > check the 'listen to this device' box > hit apply. If you can't hear yourself through the selected playback device, the microphone itself might be broken.
- Make sure that you have enabled microphone permissions for the Rec Room app. You can do this by going into your library page on the Oculus Home menu. Find the Rec Room app.
- Hover your cursor over the Rec Room app. You should see 3 dots on the bottom right of the app. Click them to open a small dropdown menu. Select the "Permissions" option.
- Enable the microphone permission.
- We are investigating an issue with the microphone not working when livestreaming the game directly from a Quest device.
- Make sure that voice communications is enabled at a system level. You can check this by going to your dashboard, and then going to Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > View details & customize > Communicate with voice and text.
- Make sure that your microphone is connected properly, and that it works in other online multiplayer games or in party chat.
If this article did not resolve the issue or answer your question, feel free to submit a ticket.